Saturday, July 3, 2010

Green hair and......Ham?

As a child I was VERY blonde, like almost white. I don't know at what point it got so dark, or if there was something I could have done to stop the progression. Every summer, my hair would gradually turn green from chlorine because we swam almost every day. I don't know if shampoo existed to remove the chlorine, or if we just weren't aware of it. Green hair was just an inevitability that myself and my cousin Jessica lived with. She too had nearly white hair.

My son Jarod's hair is almost as blonde as mine was. He swims almost everyday for a year-round swim team, and I had never even thought that he might get green hair. He wears a swim cap, and even if his hair did turn green, I figured it would come out with the Swim shampoo they use. Three things - his hair did turn green, it was caused by one practice, and it did not completely wash out with the "chlorine-removing" shampoo. It wasn't his whole head, just the inch-and-a-half that sticks out the back below the cap. The pool maintenace guy said they had been having some trouble with the chlorine levels...which did not alarm me either.
This picture does not accurately show the shade of green. When he got out of the pool, while his hair was still wet it was the brightest green you can imagine.His hair, while still wet from the pool was the green in the center block. I tried to get it wet later and see if the color would show up again, but it didn't. It's almost like some of the chlorine burned off when his hair dried.

He washed it twice with the swim shampoo, and it was almost back to normal. Although, the next day, his hair turned green again. The green wasn't quite as deep as the first time because the chlorine levels were still crazy but were starting to come down.

1 comment:

Beckie B said...

I want to know where I was in that ancient picture. Not that I'm entirely disapointed that my 3rd grade self wasn't immortalized on the internet.