Tuesday, July 14, 2009

You can find anything on the internet...

Birds are funny creatures. Living in Central Washington, I have seen my fair share of cranes, hawks, eagles, and other large birds. Alex gets very excited when he sees a bald eagle. I have to say that it is cool to me, but since I have seen then around since I was a child, the sight of one does not thrill me the way it does him. He is often disappointed by my response to a sighting. I do however, get very excited at the sight of a pelican. We have had pelicans in the Yakima Valley for the last five years or so. I absolutely love to watch a flock of them circle in the sky. It seems so majestic the way they soar; their white bodies contrasting the blue sky. It has become a ritual on the way home from Yakima to see if we can spot them in the river. The kids are very excited, I'm sure as a result of my excitement. Tonight, Jarod saw two of them, and we began to discuss their strange bill. He says that when he thinks of pelicans he remembers the scene in "Finding Nemo" when the pelican scoops Nemo up, gets water for him, and flies with him in his bill. Jarod proceeded to look them up on the internet when we got home, because as he says "you can find anything on the internet." He actually found some crazy stories. One was about a girl who had to get 20 stitches from a pelican ramming into her head while she was swimming in the ocean. Another one told about a pelican eating a pigeon...which I find odd. Isn't that kind of like canibalism?

1 comment:

Beckie B said...

I remember Alex getting excited about the eagles on our road trip from Kansas, it was funny. And, I remember one time Jarod telling me to look something up on the internet because you can "find anything there." I love your family!